Monday, October 12, 2009

Procrastination...

Look out people...I've done an overhaul on the blog. And I must say that I really enjoyed myself while searching through fun new backgrounds, banners and images. I thought to myself...self...this is kind of fun, I think I'll change the blog up every couple of months. So I thought it would be appropriate to celebrate with a fall background. I'm already so pumped about the Christmas ones. They're even better then the fall ones, and it's only October.

After messing around on the computer and updating our blog last night, I looked at the clock and realized that I spent over 2 hours between our blog, facebook, other people's blogs and twitters, and my 3 email accounts. Whew...I was exhausted...and I hadn't done anything all that productive. We're supposed to study for a specific class for 2 hours every day during this semester. I think I've actually done that twice. So I'm resorting to the fact that at 26 years old, I've finally become what I've always been so grateful I wasn't before now...a procrastinator.

I don't think it's my fault though...it's Facebook's fault. And G-Mail's fault...and Blogger.com's fault. These social networking sites that were completely unheard of when I began college (the first time) have now penetrated into our lives irreversibly. Such that we have multiple avenues online to now permanently announce to the world that we're sitting next to a fat slob at the DMV, or that we're tired of watching the Cowboy's play bad against a winless team and that Tony Romo needs to thank Miles Austin...blah, blah, blah. But in all seriousness, what would I do without it. I found out that Obama won the Peace Prize from Facebook...I'm not sure I would have found out otherwise until this morning from Kidd Kraddick. I check Baylor football scores from my iPhone almost every weekend because I'm either working a shift at the hospital or because nobody wants to televise my Bears...or both. I read my friends blogs way more often then I actually talk to them. And when I don't feel like studying for an important test or working on a project, I check all of my social media outlets again...and again, just to see if anything is going on. And to see who of my friends have now nominated someone they know for a Peace prize.

It makes me wonder if all of it is doing any good for us...as a people, culture, generation, etc. What are we gaining from this? More importantly, what are we losing? I mentioned that I read my friends blogs more then I talk to them on the phone or in person. This is tragic! What kind of community exists behind html coding? I would guess, not a very strong one. I'm not calling for a boycott of social media...but I want to start making an effort not to resort to my computer instead of real-life interactions with people that I love. And I'm going to stop procrastinating...tomorrow. :)

3 comments:

  1. Leslie -
    Well said. I am guilty of getting caught up in reading blogs more than talking to people, too! I guess it is something we can all get better at! Hope you and Justin are doing well - love the new blog design! I am making myself wait until the week of Thanksgiving to change over to Christmas! We'll see if that happens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the new design and the beautiful pictures of you two!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw somewhere that people were trying to get Obama on the Heisman Trophy ballot.

    ReplyDelete