Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Baby on a plane

With our move coming up soon, I have started thinking about all the things involved with moving an infant across the country. It’s one thing to move yourself and your stuff…it’s completely another level of attention to detail when a baby is involved. Justin and I decided before Logan was born that it would be easier on everyone if Logan and I fly to Texas instead of enduring the 25 hour drive.

While that is still the plan, I have had lots of questions about airline travel with a baby…

I mean, what’s the best way to travel with them? Can you bring your stroller? Does that cost as one of your two carry-on items? Will the baggage crew destroy the car seat if I check it? Is there a place to change a diaper on an airplane? Is there a phone number I can call if I have an emotional break down on the plane because people are glaring at me?
All of these questions have answers that nobody cares about until you have your own child on a plane. I’ve looked up websites and talked to people, and it seems that the main consensus is that you have to be flexible. It also helps if you're wearing your cowboy boots...people always think you're cuter when you're wearing cowboy boots!
Evidently different airlines have different rules…here are a few tips that Logan and I have found to be useful and reliable so far.
  • You can use the car seat if there are empty seats on board, it will be front facing and it does not count against your baggage allowance usually 
  • Plan your trip for your baby's sleepiest time. 
  • Book an early flight…less crowds, less stress, less chance for a delay 
  • Short layovers and infants do not mix 
  • An aisle seat allows you to get up more easily for diaper changes, but a window seat provides privacy for nursing 
  • The bulkhead row provides more floor space for diaper changes, but has no storage under the seat 
  • Bring extra of everything (diapers, clothes, wipes, toys, etc). 
  • Most airlines let you take the stroller through security and check it at the gate. This does not count against your baggage allowance
I also found more information than I ever wanted from this blog post from a flight-attendant… Helpful blog

So we’ll see how it all goes when we fly to Texas next week! If you have any flying tips (or if anything I posted is incorrect) let me know!

  Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. I flew a bunch with my daughter her first year,and all of the above is good advise, I'd add to be sure to nurse and or give bottle or pacifier when the plane is taking off and especially landing {since it takes longer} as the sucking will help his ears to "pop" or adjust to the change in pressure. {though when my daughter Claire was napping, it didn't seem to bother her if she wasn't sucking, but when she was awake during those times it helped a ton} I usually sat in a regular row with a window seat. I preferred the privacy and having my diaper bag and things close to me. I even did a quick diaper change in my lap a time or two instead of lugging her and all the stuff to the bathroom.
    And if you decide to check your carseat, BabiesRUS or places like Target have canvas travel bags to slide it in and zip it up to protect it. Some airlines like Southwest usually provide a bag {a clear trash bag} but we like taking our own bag and zipping the seat in for protection {plus if we're over weight in another bag or have extra loose items that wouldn't be damaged, we've snuck them in with the carseat, then it flies for free as carseat doesn't count as one of your checked bags :)}
    Also, in your carry on, stick in an extra shirt for you, never know when spit up or spills will get the best of you.
    Best of luck packing, moving, and getting settled back in Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips Kaki!! So great to hear from you too...I just checked out your blog and it looks like you're doing wonderful!! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you nurse on the plane? We're flying with Jack for the first time next week and I'm going to end up nursing on the plane (as much as I want to avoid it). Any tips on traveling with an infant since you're a pro now? Glad to have you back in Texas!

    ReplyDelete