Sunday, July 24, 2011

Obsessions

I've recently become obsessed with some things that have taken my mind (and time) away from my own personal blog. "Obsessed" might be a strong word, especially if you sit and think deeply about the implications of an obsession, but in reality, I can't get enough of some of these things. Many of these are things that my husband and I have been able to share together and THAT, my friends, makes them cherish-worthy.

At one point this winter, I will confess that I was becoming quite a blog stalker. I was writing blogs, reading blogs, linking to strangers blogs after reading blogs. It got a little carried away. I'd normally respond to that confession with the defense that "what else are you supposed to do when there's two feet of snow outside?"...however, one day, my husband looked over at me with sad eyes and said "I feel like you care more about your blogs than me."

OUCH!

I began making a point to stay off my computer. I know this happens to other couples...snowed in or not. You suddenly look up one day and you're both sitting in the same room together, but your both enamored by some piece of technology. And you haven't spoken a word to one another in hours...maybe days. We never got there, but Justin's comment to me was a wake up call.

Then they started airing that commercial where the girl signs her parents up for facebook and complains that they only have X number of friends. She states how pathetic they are and that "This is living" as she's sitting in front of her computer. Meanwhile, her parents are out kayaking with their buddies.

Lord, don't ever let me become addicted or "obsessed" with meaningless-ness.

In thinking more about it, I'm so grateful for even the minor ways that marriage teaches us sanctification. If Justin hadn't said what he did, I very well could have sunk more into a 2-dimensional world of blog stalking, social media and...ok, I admit it...shopping on Zappos.com. I'm not knocking any of those things specifically, but I do think it's wise to look at how much time I am spending on a certain activity or interest. Is it building up or tearing down? How is it affecting my marriage?

So...on to the summer "obsessions" that I truly believe have brought Justin and I closer over this summer...in no particular order.

1. Summer: There is no greater feeling than the sunshine on your face after a long cloudy winter and spring. No greater feeling. I can't explain it to sunny-climate dwellers. We are obsessed with summer and everything you can DO in the summer! Grilling out, gardening, swimming, hiking...I could go on. And most of those things, yes, you can do in the winter. But oh, they are so much more enjoyable in 78 degree weather. We are NOT obsessed with the fact that nobody has central A/C up here.

2. Friday Night Lights: Deep breath here. How did I never watch this show? We are ob-sessed. We signed up for a Netflix account just so we could watch this entire series. We began Season 1 in May and are about to start Season 5...which is available by mail DVD only right now. You'd think it would make us homesick for Texas, and maybe it does, but in a great way. We both love Texas more since leaving.

I want so badly to say "Texas Forever" and "Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, CAN'T LOSE" but I realize that all the rest of you have been doing that for years. I just now understand...

3. Reading: I've never been a great reader. I've always wanted to be good at it, but the odds are against me. I'm a slow reader, with a short attention span and a puppy who wants to play. However, I've been able to read some incredible books this summer. Obvi...Francine Rivers is the author of two of my recent reads.


4. The DIY Network: So in the back of our minds, we are starting to think about the process of moving away from Ithaca, NY. What? That surprises you? No seriously, this has been a good home for the two years we are here, but we very much would love to buy a home, maybe take on a remodeling project or two and give Bella the backyard she's always dreamed of. As an outlet for thinking about our future move / house purchase / renovation project, we've begun watching the DIY (do-it-yourself) network on a pretty regular basis. We discuss how great it would be for the Yard Crashers guy to find us in a Lowes. Or how we would argue less and appear much smarter than the couples on Renovation Realities. I plan to fill our hypothetical yard with these...and then teach Bella that they are neither toys or friends.


Aren't they lovely?

5. Bella: I know...I know...she's not a NEW obsession. Her new obsession, however is jumping on the couch when we're not looking. Or when I'm napping...she thinks it's fun to jump on my back and smother me. Yes...I'm speaking of a specific occasion.
May our "obsessions" never overshadow Jesus Christ. May we always fix our eyes on him and may we spend more time in his presence than in the presence of our televisions and computers (even if we ARE watching something as great as Friday Night Lights).


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment