Thursday, September 8, 2011

SIesta Scripture - August 16 through August 31

I can't remember how I came across this verse, but a few days before our trip to Texas, it jumped out at me. It kept coming to my mind throughout our trip because it was obvious that our land needs healing. From the dry drought in Texas to the flooding that's occuring right now where we live in the northeast, it seems that "natural disasters" have been very evident in the past year. In fact, I feel like they're becoming more severe and more common with each year that passes.

I receive daily emails from a pastor in Dallas who writes devotionals relevant to the day's breaking news and cultural ideologies. On September 7, he wrote a devotional titled "Texas Wildfires and the Compassion of God". I always think that the topic of why God allows bad things to happen results in some interesting discussion. I think there are a lot of mis-truth out there, and people have a hard time understanding how a bad thing could be caused or allowed by a loving God. I think it's also hard for us to sometimes say "I don't know the answer", especially when we have a sincere desire to honor and respect God.

Our land needs healing in more ways then one. It's not just our physical land- fields, rivers and trees- that seem to be out of control. The people in our land are hurting. They are lost and seeking truth, they are lonely and seeking love and they are empty and need to be filled. God tells us what our responsibility is as believers in Christ. I love that this verse tells us specifically what we need to do, (because I like clear instructions)...humble ourselves, pray, seek the Lord and turn away from evil. And I love that God's promise is equally clear of what his response will be to our obedience.

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and heal their land."
2 Chronicles 7:14

I don't believe God withholds his mercy or his grace from us, but I do believe that he allows us to endure difficulties so that we will turn to him. I believe he wants us to realize our need for him, instead of us simply making him an afterthought. I believe that he wants the best for us, even if it means that we aren't comfortable or convenienced. And I most definitely believe that he is our best for us.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment