Tuesday, December 20, 2011

34 week update

Let's be honest, when you're pregnant, your thoughts are basically consumed by this little life that hasn't even been born yet. You think about him or her most of your day, sometimes to the point that it's hard to concentrate on your actual real life. This makes it very difficult to think about much else to talk about with others. I've tried not to obsessively talk about pregnancy, while at the same time, I've tried to write down a lot of things so I would remember it later. I've kept a personal journal, but I have wanted to write some things publically. Since I turn 34 weeks tomorrow (aka 7.5 months), I thought I'd blog some of the things going on right now. I now wish I would have done it sooner, so here it goes...I totally stole this from my good friend Taylor, who is also pregnant. She posted her 16 week update today.

How far along? 34 weeks tomorrow

Heartbeat? at the 33 week appt last week, it was in the 140's.

Total weight gain/loss: so far, 28 pounds gain. It's a bizarre thought to weigh so much, but I'm totally happy about it...no feelings of self-conciousness when I step on the scale

Pregnancy Symptoms: This week, I started with the swollen ankles and hands...grrr. My hands are also red, which my doctor told me would happen...and dry, but that may be from cold weather and lots of handwashing. I started having back pain around 20 weeks, and that is still present, but not any worse. I'm always thirsty...I drink about 3 liters of water a day without even trying. Plus I wake up about 3 times a night to drink even more water. And I'm also always warm (or let's be honest, SWEATING from feeling hot)...so it's a good thing I live in upstate NY right now. I'm totally comfortable in short sleeves when the temperature is in the low 40's.

Maternity clothes: Taylor had this on hers, and I just didn't take it off. But basically I don't wear anything that's not maternity except for one pair of scrub pants that stretch. I love my maternity clothes but am slightly concerned that they are not going to cut it when it finally starts getting cold...and I'm not really interested in buying more. I'd rather buy baby clothes now.

Sleep: I have become the most high maintenance sleeper. I have two body pillows...one on either side of me, so I'm completely boxed in by pillows. About half of my nights are absolutely wonderful and I only have to get up to go to the bathroom once (plus my water chugs...which I don't have to get up for). The other nights involve me waking almost every hour to pee, drink, eat, write a list, stretch out my legs, etc. My most favorite middle of the night snack is a piece of bread...very random, but definitely fills me up.

Movement: I LOVE feeling his movement. It's one of my most favorite things. I feel like he moves at all hours of the day, but he rarely wakes me up. He's always been very low, so he kicks my bladder more than my ribs and lungs...that's fine with me. I feel claustrophobic when he moves up too high. I love figuring out if he's moving his knee or elbow or foot.

Food cravings: Fruits and vegtables...and don't forget the water. Seriously, I cannot get enough fruit. And last week I craved Papa John's cheese pizza. We ate that on Saturday night and it was delish.

Labor Signs: I started having the pre-labor contractions last week (week 33)...maybe averaging about one or two a day. They usually resolve when I sit down. I know they're a good thing, but oh man. The doctor will also start checking progress in 2 weeks!

What I miss: sleeping on my stomach, being able to bend over to pick things up, jogging

What I am looking forward to: I can't wait to see his little face, other than that, maybe a nice glass of wine



Photobucket

1 comment: