Friday, July 6, 2012

A Pillowcase...NOT a Tutorial

It was inevitable that my second sewing project would be a pillowcase. I was giddy from a successful attempt at making dishtowels, I was ready to sew more but only had a few small cuts of fabric, and we have always had way too many throw pillows on the couch.  I figured I'd cover one of them and it would be a perfect way to free up some couch space. Before I started, I was pretty doubtful that I'd be able to make anything resembling a square, much less a pillowcase, but I read a couple of tutorials (like this one) that sounded very easy, so I figured I should just go for it.  One of them even encouraged me to make something I never thought I would attempt. So I did and this is what I made!
I love it, and I took a couple of pictures along the way, not because I wanted to make a tutorial...the ones I linked to above are great. But I wanted to remember how I did things. This is a picture of one of my seams that eventually became one of the flaps in the back. I sewed those first and then wrapped them around the pillow and then pinned the top and bottom.
Here is the fabric pinned around the pillow ever so snuggly. As soon as I had all my pins in the right place, I realized that I actually should have wrapped the pillow with the fabric right side down (so that the messiness on the bottom of the picture) would be inside the case. Ooops...at least it gave me lots of practice with stick pins.
So here is the fabric pinned THE RIGHT WAY. And I've already (very carefully) slipped the pillow out. I should have used my zig-zag stitch to seal up the edges, but I didn't think about it until...well, right now. So if this one unravels from the inside, I guess I'll know why.
After hemming both ends along the outside of the pins, I turned the pillowcase right side out and excitedly shoved the pillow inside. I was so proud that it worked. I even somehow matched up the chevron pattern in the back. Logan was just as excited as I was!
I had been wanting to use some gray in his room, so the new pillow is now in the nursery.
Bella wanted to check it out too, just to make sure it was soft enough for a baby's room.
I think it's safe to say that sewing has officially become a hobby for me. I have all these ideas of things to sew  and am having lots of fun creating things while Logan naps!
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment