Thursday, July 30, 2009

My phone is smarter than I am!

I recently purchased a little piece of technology that I consider to be a piece of heaven. Yes, I waited the 18 months on my AT&T contract and got the new 3GS iPhone. I don't even know what the S stands for...and to be honest...I don't know what 3G is either. I hear the commercials talking about it, but I'm not sure I really understand. I actually have been searching TV for those iPhone commercials because everytime I see one, I find out something else that my little phone can do! But I do know that I have this really amazing piece of technology of a phone that thinks it's a computer...and I love it.

This thing is so smart. So I thought I'd brag a little bit on the amazing things that I've figured out so far. First of all...I can push a button and tell the phone with my voice to call someone...and it will actually do it. I was afraid that it wasn't going to work very well...I would tell it to call "dad" and it would dial the "Baylor/Dallas Police" (who I actually do have in my phone). The voice command is great for driving and for when I'm lazy. I will say that the phone does not know how to pronounce "Kvasnicka", "Rister", "Puryear", or "Plantes" correctly...but it does say "Dykstra" quite nicely, which was kind of a surprise.

Secondly, I love the Weather Channel application. I might have gotten this from my mom, but I love to know what the weather radar looks like, especially when traveling. I can pull up the radar of wherever I am and it will show me if a storm is coming. It will tell me if there are any severe weather alerts in the area and it will give me a 10-day forecast. This past week, we traveled to Kansas City and I was able to give very accurate updates on the weather as we traveled. Of course, nobody in the car really cared that I could read the "severe thunderstorm warning" on my phone as we were driving in the middle of what felt like a tornado. I got some sarcasm from my husband "really, there's a storm out there??" but it didn't matter...it was awesome.

Third, I have all kinds of applications for nursing students, and I'm really excited to use them in an applicable setting. I can look up medication doses, convert liters to pints to gallons to teaspoons, and look up diseases. This may not sound amazing to some, but to a science geek like me, bring it on. I can also learn Spanish and read the bible on my phone. I'm so excited to learn all these new things!

And finally, if you haven't made Pandora radio part of your everday life, you are missing out. I used to have it on my computer at work, but since leaving, I haven't really had a need (or a place that didn't mind radio playing while studying) for Pandora. Now that I can carry it wherever, it is always playing- at the gym, in the car...it is great! Pandora makes me much more likely to work out on my own, instead of being dependent on a class schedule at the gym.

These are just a few of the fabulous things about my new little piece of heaven that is smarter than I am. And it came at a great time, because within the same 24 hours that I got my iPhone, my hard drive crashed on my personal computer. You may be thinking, didn't this just happen to you? Um, yes it did, it happened this past March and it happened the October before last. Evidently I purchase computers that have bad hard-drives. They're all covered by warranty, but a pain to get fixed and worse to lose all your software and data. Right now I'm on an old computer that moves really slow, hence no pictures. Until then, I'll just fall more in love with my new little phone!

Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment