This year, I’ve heard the word “Advent” used a lot more than in previous Christmas’s. I don’t know if this has to do with the area of the country that we live in now or if I just never paid too much attention to the term. Up until this year, I’ve associated the meaning of the word with a calendar that counted down until the day that we got all of our Christmas presents. While I’ve been blessed to know the true meaning of Christmas for a long time, I’d like to think that each year, as I "supposedly" mature, there’s a new depth of gratitude and humility that I experience as a Christian. I should always be learning new things.
So back to the word “Advent”…the church we’ve been attending lights Advent candles every week. I have received daily devotional emails from James Denison surrounding the topic, and the Christian radio station has spoken about advent on a pretty regular basis during December. So what is it really? Wikipedia says it is a “time of expectant waiting and preparation for the celebration of the Nativity of Jesus at Christmas.” It also describes advent “as a reminder both of the original waiting that was done by the Hebrews for the birth of their Messiah as well as the waiting of Christians for Christ’s return.”
I’ve been thinking a lot about what it was like for the Hebrews living before Jesus was born into our world. They were living under the rule of the Roman Empire, had little to no freedoms and little to no communication with God. They were overtaxed, overworked and had no home. Over 500 years before, their ancestors had been conquered and taken into captivity by the Babylonians. Many of them had only one hope, which was placed in the prophecies of the Old Testament that God had promised to send a redeemer for them. Isaiah prophesied that the Messiah would come back and reclaim the surviving remnant of His people, that he would raise a banner and gather his exiles. But neverless, they were living in a constant state of waiting….waiting on the Lord to send their Messiah.
I imagine that the Hebrews woke up every single day hoping it would be the day that their Messiah would come to save them. I believe they walked daily praying for relief from the Roman oppression they were suffering. They wanted something better and they wanted to be restored to their God. It’s easy to see why some of them did not recognize Jesus as their redeemer because they had waited so long for a warrior to come and save them. I imagine they hoped their Savior would bring judgment to their oppressors, and that they even expected Him to punish those who had wronged them. Jesus did not come that way at all. Jesus came to fulfill the prophesy that “the wolf will live with the lamb, the leopard will lie down with the goat, the calf and the lion and the yearling together; and a little child will lead them.” Jesus came as that child, not as a warrior.
So while some of the Hebrews were disappointed that Jesus didn’t come to avenge them, the rest of us were given the greatest gift ever. Everything changed when God humbled Himself into the form of a baby and became a perfect sacrifice for us. I think of how excited the Hebrews were before the first coming of Christ, and I wonder why we don’t wait for Him that way now. How many days do I wake up hoping that it’s the day that I am restored to Jesus? Well, in theory, everyday. But literally, never. If we’re honest, I think we’d all say that there are a lot of things we still want to do here…on earth. We want to get married, have children, achieve a certain goal, graduate college, climb that certain mountain, discover that cure for cancer, etc. But all of those things really do pale in comparison to the glory of God. And when the 2nd advent does occur, I believe with all of my heart that climbing mountains and having children will be the last thing on my mind.
"For unto us a Child is born, unto us a Son is given. And the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Of the increase of His government and peace there will be no end. Upon the throne of David and over His kingdom, to order it and establish it with judgment and justice from that time forward, even forever. " (Isaiah 9:6-7)
Wednesday, December 22, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment