Tuesday, January 29, 2013

A Place To Lay Your Head

We've been doing some fun projects at our house now that Justin has all kinds of fancy tools. By "fancy tools", I actually mean that he has a circular saw. I have been meaning to blog about them so that he could get the credit for finishing my Pinterest-inspired projects that are, in reality, too difficult for me to do by myself. Thanks babe!

Our first project was making headboards for the beds in our 3rd bedroom. This bedroom will eventually be a kids room, so we didn't want to spend a lot of our budget making it a guest room. But we also wanted a nice place for our guests to stay. My parents generously offered to let us use two twin mattresses and box springs that they aren't using in their house anymore. So we made a weekend trip up to get them.

Yes, this is Justin re-securing one of the mattresses that happened to fly off the back of the trailer somewhere north of Troy, TX. If you happen to come stay with us, we actually have no idea which mattress made the tumble into the middle of I-35. But we can tell you that it was NOT struck by any speeding cars AND that the plastic wrapped around it was still intact after the incident...mostly. And thankfully nobody was hurt. 
The other part of that story is that a man driving by saw us and stopped to help. It made me hope that I can bless someone each day the way that he did that day for us. 

So the beds made it...whew, that was close.
Before the whole mattress fiasco went down, I found a tutorial website that gives great step-by-step instructions on building all kinds of things for your home. And it's written by a woman, so I figured I could do it. Plus, I have a handy husband so I don't even have to deal with the saw myself. The site gives free plans for everything from desks to dining room tables to built-in bookshelves. I found a headboard that looked great and seemed easy to make. 

Y'all, the instructions are precise. She gives you a list of wood to go buy, and then breaks down the list again into how to cut each board, and then how to put all your cut pieces together. 
Since we have two twin beds, we had to make two headboards. I didn't do a good job taking pictures, but we did get the above picture after we finished the first one and the below picture when I started putting on the first coat of stain.
So remember how I said that the website was really precise? Well, we probably should have measured our actual bed frames because our precisely built headboards were about 6 inches too wide to be bolted into the bed frames that we have. Ooops...

Here are the finished headboards. Please ignore that there's nothing on the walls so the room isn't all that cozy yet. Evidently when it comes to decorating, I'm incredibly indecisive. 
We actually do love the headboards and it is really fun to have worked on the project together. I think they add a lot of character and color and warmth. 


1 comment: